When can I enroll in Medicare?
You can enroll in Medicare only during certain times of the year or based on other special circumstances. Here’s a summary of the Medicare enrollment dates:
- Annual Election Period: October 15 – December 7: During this period, you can change or enroll in a new Medicare Advantage or Part D Prescription drug plan. Plan choices you make during this period become effective on January 1 of the following year unless you qualify for the special enrollment period.
- Annual Disenrollment Period: January 1 – March 31: During this period, you can disenroll from your Medicare Advantage Plan and return back to traditional Medicare only.
- Lock-in Period: April 1 – December 31: During this period, you cannot change from one Medicare plan to another unless you qualify for the special enrollment period.
Special enrollment circumstances
You will quality for special enrollment if you meet one of these criteria:
- Are turning 65 or becoming eligible for the first time. You can enroll three months before, the month of, or three months after your 65th birthday.
- Recently signed up for Medicare Part B
- Were enrolled in another company’s plan and recently moved out of that plan’s service area
- Are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid
- Are no longer enrolled in a Special Needs Plan (SNP) for people with Medicare and Medicaid benefits
- Recently received a letter from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) indicating that you may be eligible for Part D Extra Help.
- Lost employer group health plan coverage
- Involuntarily lost prescription drug coverage
- Entered a nursing home.
HealthTeam Advantage can help
HealthTeam Advantage provides several Medicare Advantage Plans you might be eligible for and interested in. If you want to enroll in one of these plans (with or without Part D prescription drug coverage), we can help you determine your eligibility. Please call 1-877-905-9216 (TTY: 711) from October 1 – March 31, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, seven days a week, or April 1 – September 30, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.